You know what they say: one can’t pour from an empty cup.
And as coaches, we invest a lot of emotional and mental energy in our clients’ success. We help them find motivation within themselves and discover their inner strength.
But sometimes, we lose track of our own drive and find ourselves burning out.
One way we can fill our cups is by interacting with our community — in this case, coaches and other wellness professionals who understand our work and experience. That’s why relatable quotes are valuable resources. These wise words remind us that others have experienced what we are going through and inspire us to keep working.
Here are 25 leadership coaching quotes that help you strengthen your focus and persuade others to become better versions of themselves.
What is good leadership in coaching?
Leadership is the act of guiding others, and coaching is about helping people achieve their short- and long-term goals. Individuals who need support seek guidance from wellness professionals, such as coaches.
Role models, managers, and entrepreneurs can practice great leadership coaching. No matter their line of work, they can coach others to find motivation for personal growth and help people create a roadmap to their goals.
Great leaders inspire others by setting an example, and coaches help clients by making them feel seen and supported. The idea is to instill a “can-do” mentality in others. Both professionals do this by showing empathy, listening actively, and helping people challenge their limiting beliefs. Coaches are also excellent at seeing a potential roadblock and creating a route around it.
25 motivational quotes about leadership
Effective leadership is about exhibiting sensitivity toward people, thinking critically, and listening actively –– all of which consume energy and focus. If you find yourself draining your proverbial cup, remember why your work is so important and that you're not alone. Here are 25 inspirational quotes from coaches and leaders to keep that drive alive:
- “Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.” –– Henry Ford
- “Everything in coaching hinges on listening because what we are listening for affects where we are speaking from and unfolds how we are being with and for each other.” –– Marilyn Atkinson and Rae Chois
- “Coaching is unlocking a person’s potential to maximize their own performance. It is helping them to learn rather than teaching them.” –– Sir John Whitmore
- “A coach is someone who tells you what you don’t want to hear, who has to see what you don’t want to see, so you can be who you always known you could be.” –– Tom Landry
- “Coaching is the universal language of change and learning.” –– CNN
- “I absolutely believe that people, unless coached, never reach their maximum capabilities.” –– Bob Nardelli
- “The interesting thing about coaching is that you have to trouble the comfortable, and comfort the troubled.” –– Ric Charlesworth
- “You get the best effort from others not by lighting a fire beneath them, but by building a fire within.” –– Bob Nelson
- “Does coaching work? Yes. Good coaches provide a truly important service. They tell you the truth when no one else will.” –– Jack Welch
- “Who, exactly, seeks out a coach? If you ask a coach, the answer is usually the same: Winners who want even more out of life.” –– Chicago Tribune
- “Coaching is unlocking a person’s potential to maximize their own performance. It’s helping them to learn rather than teaching them.” –– Tim Gallwey
- “The best coaches really care about people. They have a sincere interest in people.” –– Byron and Catherine Pulsifer
- “I never cease to be amazed at the power of the coaching process to draw out the skills or talent that was previously hidden within an individual, and which invariably finds a way to solve a problem previously thought unsolvable.” –– John Russell
- “I believe that wherever there is mastery, coaching is occurring and whenever coaching is done, mastery will be the outcome.” –– Andrea J. Lee
- “The art of communication is the language of leadership.” –– James Humes
- “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” –– John Quincy Adams
- “To lead people, walk behind them.” –– Lao Tzu
- “Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.” –– General George Patton
- “Management is about arranging and telling. Leadership is about nurturing and enhancing.” –– Tom Peters
- “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” –– African Proverb
- “There are three essentials to leadership: humility, clarity, and courage.” –– Fuchan Yuan
- “Successful leaders see the opportunities in every difficulty rather than the difficulty in every opportunity.” –– Reed Markham
- “Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.” –– Mother Teresa
- “Great leaders harness personal courage, capture the hearts and minds of others, and empower new leaders to make the world a better place.” –– Maxine Driscoll
- “Coaching is unlocking a person’s potential to maximize their growth.” –– John Whitmore
We’re certain you feel motivated and proud of your profession. Continue to remind yourself of your impact by coming up with some of your own words about leadership. Try writing a quote that summarizes your experience and pinpoints why this work is close to your heart.
Inspire leadership wherever you go
A good leader’s core trait is the ability to guide others with empathy and connection. You inspire others to follow suit when you act as an effective leader. And there’s a leader in all of us.
Whether you coach clients in a private practice or manage a team, act as a humble, open-minded role model. Foster a trustworthy environment where people feel comfortable pushing themselves.
Harmonize your coaching business with Practice
We not only try to make coaches’ lives a bit easier with virtual administration tools, but we’re also dedicated to spreading the word about the importance of this profession. We are constantly creating new content for our blog with information about the field and helpful tips and templates for coaches.
Learn more about how to act as a leader, how to be inspirational to others in the workplace using the tenets of coaching, and much more. And, if you’re interested in honing your coaching skills or taking on this profession full time, read our pieces on the different niches in the field, such as career coaching, motivational coaching, and empowerment coaching.
While you’re at it, check out our Client Management Software, designed with coaches in mind, to organize your client data, forms and contracts, and important files and folders –– all in one place. Try it today.