Moments in your journey as a coach may feel lonely or daunting, particularly if you run your own business — it’s only natural. There are many potential paths in this field, and if you don’t have a community of other professionals to lean on, it can be difficult to navigate.
Luckily, the internet has made it easier than ever to learn about the industry and gather firsthand advice from successful coaches. Digital podcasts are an accessible way to learn how to enhance your practice through the valuable experience and insight of others. Plus, podcasts fit seamlessly into everyday life — listen on your way to work, while grocery shopping, and even during workouts.
With this wealth of content, how do you decide what to listen to first? We can help. Here are 16 of the best coaching podcasts to improve your skills and grow your business.
Why you should listen to a coaching podcast
No matter your niche, coaching podcasts can help you improve your business and become a better coach. If you don’t have time to attend in-person or online courses, a podcast is a wonderful alternative to squeeze into your busy schedule.
Whether you’re new to coaching or well into your career, it’s essential to keep up to date on developments in the industry and be well-informed about your practice. This will not only help you find professional success, but it will also allow you to better care for clients.
How to identify a great coaching podcast
There’s a wealth of coaching podcasts out there, but finding the one that resonates with you and your practice may take some trial and error. Here are a few qualities to look for in an excellent coaching podcast:
- Inspiring. A strong coaching podcast should leave you excited and energized about your work. Look for content that’s uplifting and motivates you.
- Actionable. Search for a podcast that includes steps you can take to improve your business. Podcasts recommending clear, actionable items will help you make effective and tangible changes.
- Entertaining. If you almost fall asleep while listening to a podcast, you’re probably not learning much. Find content that keeps you on the edge of your seat, eager to listen to more.
- Experienced. There are many professionals in the coaching industry with experience you can learn from. If there’s someone you admire or whose credentials impress you, check if they have a podcast.
16 best coaching podcasts
The coaching community is diverse. While you can learn from just about anyone, you probably want to find a podcast that fits your niche. We’ve broken down our favorite coaching podcasts into categories depending on where you are in your coaching journey and what type of coaching you practice. Let’s dive in.
For new coaches
If you’ve just started your professional journey, here are some podcasts that cover the fundamentals of coaching:
- Coaching to Flourish. If you want inspiration to start your coaching business, this podcast is for you. Coaches John Andrew Williams and Raj Anderson interview professional trainers and certified coaches to learn about their unique journeys.
- Coaching Life. Well-respected coach Phil Goddard interviews other coaches and clients to provide a firsthand look at what it’s like to be a life coach.
- The Art of Coaching. Best-selling author Brett Bartholomew discusses various types of coaching and how to actively change behavior for the better.
- Everything Life Coaching: The Positive Psychology and Science Behind Coaching. This podcast is hosted by John Kim and Noelle Cordeaux as they explore the psychology of positive thinking and the impact of life coaching. The episodes are roughly 30 minutes long, making them perfect for aspiring life coaches to listen to on their morning commute or afternoon walk.
- Coach Cast. Justin Petersen and Darren Odell discuss a diverse range of coaching topics in each hour-long episode. The pair explores “everything to do with coaching,” making this an excellent listen for coaches just starting out.
For life coaches
These life coaching podcasts are for the experienced coach. They cover niche topics and focus on enhancing your already established business.
- Sh*t You Don’t Learn About in College. This podcast is hosted by successful life coach Zander Fryer who discusses how to grow your coaching business in actionable steps. Each episode shares valuable industry insights that are easily applied to real-life problems.
- WorkLife with Adam Grant. Organizational psychologist Adam Grant interviews various professionals about creating a healthy work-life balance, an essential skill for life coaches growing their businesses (and helpful advice for clients).
- International Coaching Podcast. This official podcast for the International Association of Coaching (IAC) will help you strengthen your coaching practice and master your skills. The IAC has high standards for coaching, and it’s reflected in the quality of this podcast.
- Coaching and Mentoring Best Practice – Both Sides of the Coin. This podcast is very unique: Each episode features an interview with a coach and their client. The 30-minute episodes are hosted by Jenny Butter, an accredited master coach.
- The Coaching Masters Project. Hosted by Lewis Raymond Taylor and Liam James Collins, the pair discuss key coaching skills that will help you perfect your craft.
For business and executive coaches
Coaching in the business world requires unique experience and perspective. Here are a few podcasts that will deepen your understanding of executive and business coaching:
- The Reboot Podcast. Hosted by Jerry Colanna, this podcast features CEOs, start-up founders, and entrepreneurs who discuss their emotional and psychological challenges. Colanna is a certified coach who founded Reboot and worked at many prestigious companies. The podcast featured in Forbes 12 Best Podcasts for Entrepreneurs and garnered solid reviews from CEOs of major firms.
- Excellent Executive Coaching. Hosted by Dr. Katrina Burrus, this podcast does a deep dive into leadership coaching and personal development. Dr. Burrus is a certified master coach and brings her experience to this podcast to help professional coaches develop their skills.
- Coaching for Leaders with Dave Stachowiak. This weekly podcast explores the fundamentals of leadership through research and engaging conversations with experts and successful leadership professionals.
- Executive Coaching for Business Owners. Hosted by Tony Mayo, this business coaching podcast focuses on the fundamentals of executive coaching and the tools high-level professionals need for success.
- Business Coaching Secrets. Karl Bryan discusses his unique insights into the business coaching industry and provides actionable advice to apply to your coaching business and beyond.
- Business Accelerator. Michael Hyatt and Megan Hyatt-Miller discuss how to create long-term success in business. The hosts explore personal development on the road to meeting your goals — advice that will help both you and your clients.
Other ways to learn about coaching
Podcasts are excellent tools to help you improve your coaching and learn from other professionals, but they don’t replace traditional education. Obtaining credentials from well-respected coaching organizations shows clients you know your stuff and helps you better serve them. If you have the time and resources, consider enrolling in a coaching course for professional development.
In the meantime, if your ears get tired, why not crack open a book on coaching? There’s an endless supply of excellent reads from professionals in and outside of the coaching profession waiting to teach you something new.
Improve your coaching business with Practice
You’re working hard to improve your coaching practice — let us help. We can assist you in streamlining your administrative tasks so you have more time for professional development.
At Practice, we understand what it takes to run a business as a coach, and it's our goal to help professionals like you run their businesses effectively. Our customer relationship management (CRM) platform is specifically designed with coaches in mind, allowing you to communicate with clients, file important documents, and receive payments safely and securely — all in one place.